The estate goes back to the 17th century. The 19th century Mansion was built over a Baroque L-shaped smaller manor-house owned by the Perényi and Berényi families. The present building dates form 1844. It was built after a neo-classical model by the Austrian architect Heinrich Koch, as a second home for the family of Count György Károlyi. The latter’s grandson, Count Joseph Károlyi (1884-1934), had it rebuilt in 1910 – this was the last major reconstruction work. The shape of the inner courtyard dates from that period as well as the elliptical, cupola-topped library, and the laying-out of the two gardens: the pleasure garden and a landscape garden in front of the wooded part. The landscape architect was in 1911 János Hein.
In September 1944, as the war front drew nearer, the Károlyi family left the Mansion. In 1945 the Mansion was nationalised by communist authorities and totally looted. The Károlyi family was forced to leave the country in 1947 and settled in France. Like many a Hungarian monument, it underwent many changes in use and administration, which had a strong negative impact. It worked as a children’s home from 1949 to 1979, first for Greek abducted children, later for Hungarian orphans. Although it was listed in the early 1950s as a major national heritage building and despite some maintenance work in the mid-1980s, the building and the park were slowly going to seed.
1993 was a turning point: the situation began to improve, as administration of the estate was entrusted to a Hungarian state institution supervised by the National Office for the Protection of Historical Monuments. In 1997, an important reconstruction and rehabilitation programme was launched on the initiative of the Joseph Károlyi Foundation (set up in 1994), which aimed to create a Cultural Encounter Centre focused on Hungary’s opening to Europe. In 1997, a long-term lease (99 years) was signed, enabling the reconstruction and cultural development of the Mansion in partnership with the Hungarian state institution as administrator. In 2001 a company limited by shares, created and owned by the Károlyi family, took over from the state institution as administrator of the whole estate. From then on, the Foundation was free to promote simultaneously its two major activities: restoring the Mansion and setting up cultural activities.
At present, the building has been insulated, the roof and shell have been redone. The two pavilions and side wings have been completely restored. Hopefully the central building will be utterly restored in 2008-2009. The last step will be the restoration of the outbuildings and their ultimate conversion into hotel facilities.
An attentive welcome is reserved for you at this neo-classical stately-home built in 1844 and surrounded by English-style parkland (50 ha) assuring you an unrivalled calm. 20 rooms equipped with all modern conveniences (air conditioned, internet) are about to open, a library and a chapel await your restful stay, work in calm, incentives, seminars or tourist trips to Hungary. 2 hours from Vienna and 1 hour from Budapest the castle also boasts cultural programmes.
21 rooms, 58 persons.
Double room with breakfast
18 000 Ft / 72 €
Single room with breakfast
14 000 Ft / 56 €
Triple room with breakfast
24 000 Ft / 96 €
Additional bed with breakfast
6 000 Ft / 25 €
2500 HUF / 10 €
Hungary, 8052 Fehérvárcsurgó, Petőfi street 2.
GPS: 47°17’12.31″ N / 18°15’58.13″ E
Tel: +36 22 578 080 Fax: +36 22 578 081
Ip tel: +36 21 311 04 00